Terms of Reference
The Land Contamination Working Party seeks to monitor, influence and improve laws related to land contamination. The group has a particular interest in:
- issues around Part 2A of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (the statutory contaminated land regime for Great Britain); and
- implementation and implications of the Environmental Liabilities Directive.
With the recent appointment of new co-convenors, Jeff Roberts and Emma Tattersdill, we are looking to “relaunch” the working group and increase its activity in 2020. If you would like to join the Working Party please contact either of the convenors
Recent events & Activities
The group held a Working Party session during the online annual conference on Friday 26th June 2020. The recording will be available shortly.
The Working Party focused on the DEFRA & WAG
consultation on the new Part 2A Statutory Guidance. As well as
submitting a formal response, our members were consulted by DEFRA on
subsequent drafting before it was issued in April 2012.
The convenor of the group has joined the Government's new Land Forum,
which has developed from the National Brownfield Forum. This was
originally established by DCLG and Defra. The aim of the Forum is to
promote the sustainable use of land. It brings together private and
public sector organisations to take a strategic overview of current and
future land use issues including:
- taking into consideration the full range of social, economic and
environmental factors in informing the development and implementation of
- supporting the development, dissemination and adoption of best practice by regulators, practitioners and problem-owners
- identifying key challenges as they arise and seeking appropriate resolutions, openly reporting on progress and outcomes.
The Forum will consider UK wide issues and reference overseas experience where appropriate. Representation of organisations on the Forum will be kept under review, and will seek to represent a broad spectrum of interests. CL:AIRE will be the secretariat for the Forum with all notes from the meeting being made publicly available from CL:AIRE's website.