National Highways - Environmental Lawyer
There has never been a more exciting time to work for National Highways. Play your part ensuring that the Government's second Road Investment Strategy that commits £27.4 billion of spending in our motorways and major A Roads over the period 2020 to 2025, is delivered in an environmentally sensitive way.
As an Environmental Lawyer within the Planning & Highways Legal Team you will have demonstrable experience of environmental law and it would be desirable to also be experienced in planning, highways and public law. You will play a pivotal role in supporting the delivery of the second Road Investment Strategy, encountering diverse and exciting legal challenges along the way. Although you will be working in the team that advises the business on planning, environmental and highways law you may also be required to get involved across a full range of areas of the business, meaning no two days are the same.
National Highways has recently introduced Net zero highways: its ambitious carbon plan and is a company that cares about its environmental impact with an ambition to plant 3 million trees and a multi-million pound designated funds program amongst many other initiatives. We are the largest promoter of Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects in the country responsible for delivering some of the largest infrastructure projects in England, as a result the work you will be entrusted to complete will have a significant impact on us delivering what we have promised, both in terms of project delivery and environmental sensitivity. We need your help to navigate this most important and complex landscape.
What you’ll be leading on
As a skilled environmental lawyer, you will take a lead role in advising the business on all aspects of environmental law including:
- Advising project teams on how to navigate the ever-changing landscape of environmental law and the challenges posed to infrastructure providers;
- Advising the business at a strategic level on environmental challenges and opportunities around matters such as air quality, climate change and biodiversity net gain;
- Advising on Environmental Impact Assessment and Habitats Regulations Assessment;• Advising the business on the changes being introduced by the Environment Act 2021.
To be successful
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister authorised to practice in the UK
- Demonstrable experience of environmental law.
- Solves complex business problems and demonstrates in-depth knowledge of emerging trends and concepts.
- Ability to apply legal skills to new or unfamiliar areas of law.Demonstrable track-record of working with minimal supervision.
- Ability to build and sustain relationships, communicate clearly and explain complex issues in a way that is easy to understand.
- Ability to proactively manage complex projects, identifying legal and commercial risks and finding solutions.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively, see legal issues in their wider context and advise accordingly.
- Our total reward package includes basic salary, the potential for a performance related bonus, and employer pension contributions of up to 10%
Want to know more?
For a copy of the Job Description please contact [email protected] quoting reference 1927
Why you should join us
An informal blended working approach has been adopted for many of our roles across National Highways. We offer many different ways to work flexibly and we’re open to discuss part-time working, job shares, and flexible start and finish times. Please wait until the interview stage before asking us about flexibility, and we will explore what is possible.
Our benefits package:
- Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays)
- Flexible hours and blended working between base location/home
- Life assurance of 4 times annual salary
- Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus, access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines
- A cycle to work scheme for the purchase of a bicycle and equipment for healthy, low carbon travel
- Significant investment in your career development, through learning and development, talent management, coaching, mentoring and on job experience
And we are:
- Family friendly with enhanced maternity leave and pay, paternity leave (15 days), shared parental leave, adoption leave. Plus access to financial support for holiday play schemes and paid special leave (up to 5 days pa) eg for caring responsibilities
- Money friendly with access to a discount platform including over 3000 discounts for supermarkets, eating out, leisure, holidays. Alongside a financial wellbeing programme
- Community friendly - offering paid leave to volunteer, 3 days basic/year plus an extra 3 days to support the national Covid effort
Closing Date 5th September. We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.